Suicide Prevention Resources
How serious is the problem of youth suicide?
- Youth suicide is the second leading cause of death for teenagers and the 11th leading cause of death for all Americans. More than 38,000 Americans die by suicide each year.
What are the warning signs for suicide?
- The most common signs include: making a suicide attempt, verbal and written statements about death and suicide, fascination and preoccupation with death, giving away of prized possessions, saying goodbye to friends and family, making out wills, and dramatic changes in behavior and personality.
What should I do if I believe someone to be suicidal?
- Listen to that person and provide support, stressing that he or she is not the first person to feel this way. There is help available, and mental health professionals such as counselors and psychologists have special training to help young people who are suicidal. Do not keep a secret about suicidal behavior. Save a life by getting help from an adult. It is what a good friend does, and someday, your friend will thank you.
How does a suicide crisis hotline work?
- There are nationally certified crisis hotlines in many cities that are available 24 hours a day and manned by trained volunteers. The 24-hour national suicide hotline is 1-800-Suicide or 1-800-273-8255.
How can I make a difference in suicide prevention?
- Know the warning signs, listen to your friends carefully, do not hesitate to get adult help, and remember that most youth suicides can be prevented. Become aware of ways to get involved with suicide prevention. Contact the local crisis hotline for more information on how you can help. One person can make the difference and prevent a suicide!
SUICIDE PREVENTION HOTLINES
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - (800) 273-8255
- DuPage County 24/7 Hotline - (630) 627-1700
- Frankfort 24/7 Hotline - (815) 469-6166
- Joliet 24/7 Hotline - (815) 722-3344
The location of the hotline is not important - all numbers lead to help!
MOBILE APPS (Android or iOS)
- My3App - Creates a personal emergency message to three people if you're in crisis
- Jason Foundation
- Suicide Crisis Support
- HELP Prevent Suicide