REQUIREMENTS FOR SPORTS PARTICIPATION
By Caron, William
Dear Parent(s)/ Guardian(s):
In compliance with Illinois state law, all students participating in any interscholastic sport at Old Quarry Middle School must have a current Sports Physical on file. These are the requirements for our policies:
1) A sports physical is required for 7th and 8th grade students participating on an athletic team. Sport physicals may not be carried over from previous school years and they must be dated after June 1st of the participating school year.
2) The attached Certificate of Physical Fitness must be completed in its entirety. We will no longer accept any other forms – especially forms that you have gotten at your physician’s office. Please remember to have your child bring the form with you to the physician’s office. THIS IS THE ONLY FORM WE WILL ACCEPT.
3) The top half of the form must be filled out, signed, and dated by the parent. The bottom half must be filled out, signed and dated by the physician.
4) The Parental Certification form needs to be filled out for each sport in which a student participates.
For the 2009-2010 school year, the following interscholastic sports will be offered to students who wish to try out:
- Girls Junior Varsity Volleyball – girls, grade 7
- Girls Varsity Volleyball – girls, grade 8
- Boys Volleyball – boys, grades 7 and 8
- Cross Country – girls and boys, grades 6, 7, and 8
- Junior Varsity Basketball – girls and boys, grade 7
- Varsity Basketball – girls and boys, grade 8
- Junior Varsity Cheerleading – girls, grade 7
- Varsity Cheerleading – girls, grade 8
- Dance Team – girls, grades 7 and 8
- Softball – girls, grades 7 and 8
- Soccer – girls and boys, grades 7 and 8
- Track and Field – girls and boys, grades 6, 7, and 8
- Wrestling – boys, grades 6, 7, and 8
When possible, no “cuts” are made when students try out for Cross Country, Track and Field or Wrestling.
Please note: if your child is considering participating in any of these sports during the school year, it is recommended that he/she have a Sports Physical during the summer months to cover him/her for the entire school year.
Students will not be allowed to even practice for their particular sport without having all of the proper forms filled out and approved by our school’s nurse, Jeanne Duffy, RN. If you have any questions, you can contact her at (630) 257-2286 ext. 4102.
The new Sports Physical form and Parental Certification can be found on the website. Thank you for your continued support and cooperation in helping us comply with these policies.
William Caron, Ed.D.